Ha! The reason this dish is called “Margherita like” and not Margherita is due to the recent cheese name fight between Europe and USA. Europe is banning other countries from using original names of cheeses. For example, Feta cheese can be labelled as Feta cheese only if it comes from Greece. So American food companies producing feta cheese have to label them as “feta like cheese”. Google for more details!
Anyway, one of my best friends (I know you can’t have more than one best friend but I’m fortunate enough to have more than one!) introduced me to cauliflower crust pizza. We were going to make it but didn’t get around to… Today I had time and I miss her, so I gave it a shot.
2 1/2 cup grated cauliflower, about 1/3 of a head
1 cup ready to use 3 cheeses (or you can mix Parmesan and mozzarella together)
1 large egg
Salt & pepper to taste
1 fresh tomato, thinly sliced
1 small brown onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp tomato paste
Dried basil to sprinkle
Dried chilli flakes to sprinkle
1 bunch of fresh basil, leaves only, chopped
1/2 ready to use 3 cheeses or as much as you’d like!
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220C and line your pizza tray/baking tray with baking paper.
2. Microwave cauliflower for 5 min until soft. Add egg, cheese, salt and pepper and mix until combined.
3. Use your hand to mould the mixture to form a pizza base.
4. Bake until golden brown (appx 15 min).
5. Once the crust is done, spread tomato paste on the base. Add tomato, onion, dried basil, chilli flakes and cheeses. Bake for 10 min.
6. After, add fresh basil and bake for a few more minutes (optional – you can have it fresh or wilted).